PUBLISHED: 12:23 21 December 2009 | UPDATED: 16:27 20 February 2013
While we can't abandon our jumpers and winter coats just yet, shops are already starting to display their new season collections alongside January sales stock. Get ahead of the game with our preview of the essential Spring trends
While we cant abandon our jumpers and winter coats just yet, shops are already starting to display their new season collections alongside January sales stock. Get ahead of the game with our preview of the essential Spring trends
Colours and prints:
- The key colour of the season for absolutely everything from blouses to bags, shoes to make-up is nude
- Jungle prints, not just in traditional earthy colours but reds and brights, too
- Bold and bright. If you are not following the nude trend, the only alternative is to be really seen
- Distinctive prints, using either nudes with black or the bright bold theme
- Make-up colours are nudes and soft pastels
- Low heels
- Small bags
- Tribal costume jewellery
- Nude pearls
- Leather, not so much jackets as soft leather tops, skirts, shorts
- Denim but not just jeans - look out for overalls, dresses, shirts and pretty tops
- Shimmer and shine, muted metallics
- Soft, floaty, sheer fabrics like silk and chiffon, perfect in the new nude colours
- Anything with stretch, the 1980s resurgence is still around for Spring 2010
Spring style themes:
- Overalls. If you liked the 2009 jumpsuits, it is now the turn of overalls to get a makeover. Spring will bring washed denim options, as well as satin and silk options for a more dressed up look.
- Sporty 1980s look. Body conscious tops dresses and leggings will be a popular look though Spring and Summer, designers have created a more sophisticated sporty style
- Military, still a popular look maybe a little more utility with the lighter weight fabrics of Spring.
- Floor-length, floaty feminine dresses
Q: My son is getting married in July and I want to by a new outfit but want to wait until as late as possible so that I can lose weight. When is best to shop for a wedding outfit for a July wedding?
A: If you want to leave it as late as possible, you should stick to a special-occasion outfitters instead of wholly relying on the High Street shops. The Spring collections on the High Street will start to be in store in January and if you were to leave as late as the start of July you would find the High Street would have started to discount lines and your choice may be limited. Best to look in March on the High Street if you want full choice but this may not give you the time you need. With occasion wear retailers they carry stock all year round to suit all seasons and will have more choice of sizes in the most popular wedding months of June to September.
Try Jessica Kennedy at Canterbury, Fashion Scene Meopham, Le Chic Boutique Bromley or La Belle Femme Tunbridge Wells and Chislehurst.