Watch: 14 nostalgic old videos of Kent
PUBLISHED: 12:45 20 February 2019 | UPDATED: 15:17 20 February 2019
Take a step back in time to the good old days with these vintage videos from around Kent
• Hop Picking, Paddock’s Wood (1957)
People young and old are shown leaving London to head towards Paddock’s Wood for hop picking.
• Heavy Snowfall in Kent (1956)
This video shows tobogganing in Canterbury and children enjoying snowball fights.
• A Railway Triumph, Margate (1959)
‘It’s so quick, mothers in London will soon be telling their children after tea “Go down to Margate and play on the sands until bed time!”’
• The Monkey’s Hotel, Sidcup (1930)
• Suntan Venus Competition, Cliftonville (1939)
“All the bathing beauties come out for a new kind of competition.”
• Bat and Trap, Canterbury (1951)
A game of bat and trap is played at Ye Olde Beverlie in Canterbury.
• Mobile Dental Clinic, Chartham (1954)
This mobile dental clinic would visit rural places in Kent with top of the line dental equipment.
• Wrestling for Women, Hawkhurst (1964)
This news report delves into the world of women’s wrestling in Hawkhurst.
• Gone Fishing, Canterbury (1963)
• Sidecar Race, Farnborough (1947)
• We’ve Come Back (1945)
“A little boy and girl who were evacuated from Canterbury return and sit on the hillside above the city.”
• Faversham Carnival (1952)
“All the pubs in Faversham are staying open late this evening!”
• Silk farm, Lullingstone Castle (1951)
• On the Coast, Margate (1938)