Recipe: Chetna Makan’s Coffee Cake
PUBLISHED: 15:25 23 September 2015 | UPDATED: 16:14 23 September 2015
In episode 8 of The Great British Bake Off the technical challenge is mokatines – tricky-to-make squares of sponge cake with coffee butter cream. For those that like their coffee cake less fiddly, but equally delicious, Chetna Makan shares her tried and tested coffee cake recipe
For the sponge
225g unsalted butter
225g caster sugar
225g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 large eggs
2 tsp cocoa powder
4 tsp coffee granules
For the syrup
1 tbsp coffee granules
100 ml boiling water
100 ml Tia Maria
For the icing
300 ml double cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
Cocoa powder for dusting
1. Heat the oven to 180°C and line a 10 inch cake tin – here I have used a ring cake tin.
2. Mix the coffee and cocoa into 2 tbsp of warm water. Mix this with all the other cake ingredients into a large bowl. Mix it with an electric whisk for 2 minutes till combined well.
3. Tip all the mixture into the prepared tin and level it out. Bake for 40 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Leave it in the tin to cool for roughly 10 minutes and then turn out and cool it on a wire rack.
4. Meanwhile, mix the syrup ingredients and leave it to cool a little. Once the syrup and the cake are a bit cool, brush the syrup onto the cake, little at a time. You can choose how much syrup you would want to put on the cake.
5. Now whisk the cream and icing sugar till it holds its shape. Now fill this into a piping bag and pipe the cream on the cake in any design you wish. Once done, sprinkle with some cocoa powder to finish.
Like this? Check out our interview with Chetna Makan.